Long Walk Original Manuscript (Image #575) - Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory
Welcome to the Nelson Mandela Digital Archive Project. Our aim is to locate, document, digitise, and provide access to all archival materials related to Nelson Mandela. This is a work in progress. Here is a selection of materials arranged in exhibits for your enjoyment.
Title: Long Walk Original Manuscript (Image #575)
Transcript: Chapter 15:
(1) Two different approaches: (a) identifying government policy with new administering policy, or (b) distinguishing between the two: (a) advantages and disadvantages.
(2) Congress movement has consistently advocated (1) (b): (a) Congress movement approach pragmatic and based on common sense and experience, (b) all men capable of changing experience of prisoners and detainees and as professional men. (c) Rivonia group expressly discussed issue and expressly approved (1) (b); (d) Personal attitude in full agreement with (1) (b) not only as a political duty but as part of my outlook.
(3) Policy of Prison Deparment determined by government policy as a whole: (a) government policy discriminates between blacks and whites. (b) between prisoners of different racial groups, (c) between political and non political (d) betweeen different section of Robben Island.
(4) Prisoners struggle to change prison conditions part of anti apartheid struggle (a) link between security branch and Prisons Department demands closer link between our political organisation and ourselves, press and democratic forces outside; (b) struggle for improvement of conditions must be put in this context.
(5) Prison conditions worse on arrival (a) on leaving Pretoria for Robben Island Aucamp warns
Extent and Medium: 1 page