Welcome to the Nelson Mandela Digital Archive Project. Our aim is to locate, document, digitise, and provide access to all archival materials related to Nelson Mandela. This is a work in progress. Here is a selection of materials arranged in exhibits for your enjoyment.
Transcript: demonstrations of solidarity from public.
(9) Effect of political prisoners on non political: (a) attitude of prison officials stiffens (b) some have joined the movement in jail (c) assist in many ways
(10) Death of Ma, Thembi application to attend funeral
(11) Death of Z.K., Chief, Nana Sita, Debi, Vuyisile, Babla, J.B., Robbie, Michael, James Kantor. (b) Bram discussion with Kruger. (c) refused permission to send condolence letters Paton's wife.
(12) Visits from friends: (a) Fatima, Lily, Mtatho, David Mdau, Joel Carlson. (b) Helen indicates desire to come. (c) Benjies application refused. (d) maybe others (e) visits now only first degree. (f) letter from Barbara Castle not given subversive.
(13) Visits from VIPs and lawyers: (a) met many local and foreign (VIPs Xhamela present in first two but later practice became impossible. (b) Dennis Healey, Helen Suzman, Newman of Daily Telepgraph, David McNicol ( 5Rand 1 Rand), Red Cross, judges Munnik, Trengrove, De Vos, Riemstra, Theron, Corbett and Steyn, Lord Woolstone, Dutch ambassador and Attorney General. (c) Arthur Ashe refused: Henning all this is bygone error.
(14) Treatment now determined by political event outside: (a) since first operation in Namibia and