- 1960 - 1990 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Acquired from the Yutar family.
- Eight scrapbooks labelled "The Rivonia Trial 11 July 1963-12 June 1964 as reported by the press from 28 August 1963 to 13 June 1999". They contain a timeline of events, clippings labelled with the date. Also seven scrapbooks labelled "Soweto Riots". It is unclear whether Yutar compiled the scrapbooks or only collected the clippings.
- One lever arch file containing a manuscript for a book by Percy Yutar entitled "The Rivonia Trial - The Facts (based in authentic documentary exhibits)". The manuscript contains a preface and a breakdown of chapters but the bulk does not read like a book but rather appears to be a reproduction of the State's trial records (indictment, State's opening address, evidence for the State, evidence for the Defence, judgement, evidence in mitigation of sentence etc).
- One volume: A factual analysis of the documentary exhibits handed in and other oral testimony given at the so-called Rivonia Trial. Inscribed: "With appreciation from B G Fourie, Secretary for Information"
- Scrapbook with clippings, photographs etc. Mostly of Yutar's career after the Rivonia Trial but a few clippings relate to the Trial from May 1964.
- Press clippings in folder in plastic sleeves re Yutar's legal career, Rivonia Trial, Excelsior case, Moodie case and others.
These papers do not necessarily form a collection discrete from other Liliesleaf Farm collections but have been listed as such for ease of reference. Also see entries for Harold and Annemarie Wolpe Papers, Liliesleaf Farm Audio-Visual Collection, Liliesleaf Farm Artefact Collection, Liliesleaf Farm/Rivonia Trial Research Collection, James Kantor Papers. There are also prosecution records from the Yutars in the personal collection of businessman Douw Steyn and in the National Archives (transferred from Brenthurst Library).